This project aims to create a virtual choir performance of Thomas Tallis’s famous 40-voice motet, “Spem in alium.” This is challenging music, but we are counting on having adventurous singers who are willing to take it on. You are welcome to submit multiple videos of the vocal parts that suit your voice (for instance, tenors could submit choir 1 tenor, choir 2 tenor, choir 3 tenor, etc.). The conducting video and the individual scores for choirs 1 – 8 can be found here. All scores were edited by David K. Means, Copyright CPDL.
Spem in alium Conducting Video – The counter in the top right corner of the video is the measure number.
To Record your Voice Part:
1) Print your choir score above (or open it on a separate device).
2) When you are ready to sing, open the conducting video above in a new tab.
3) Open your preferred camera application. You’ll need to be able to run the camera while viewing the conducting video. Make sure you’re wearing headphones so the mic doesn’t pick up sound from the video.
4) After your camera has started recording, begin playback of the conducting video. The conducting video starts with a 5 second countdown followed by a quick flash of white. To facilitate the process of syncing your voice with everyone else’s please clap your hands once loudly at the end of the five second countdown when the video flashes white and continue recording through the end of the piece.
5) When you’ve completed your recording, direct your browser to:
http://grinnell.mediaspace.kaltura.com/channel/Virtual%2BChoir/29825041 in a new window or tab.
Login with the username “virtualchoir” and enter the same for the password.
6) Click the Add Media button
7) Click the Add New button and select Media Upload
8) Select the file you wish to upload
9) Enter your Name and the song name in the name field and other information you wish to share about yourself in the description field. Enter the choir and part you are singing in the tag field.
10) Click the Save button at the bottom of the page. After saving your recording will be uploaded with the other submissions and will be edited together to create a virtual choir.